6.5.11

the muse


 Kat Gallegos


I have worked with many models over the years and a lot of them do awesome work!  However, it is rare for me to find a model with the versatility, combined with the professionalism and attitude, that Kat has. I am excited to have her on this project and to share the experience with you.

how it began,
The idea for the muse project started during a portfolio shoot.  I had worked with Kat once before but when she first arrived I thought hmm, is this the same model I had worked with? She looked and acted totally different then I had remembered. As I talked with her and got her in front of the camera, it was obviously her but it blew me away how different her looks and personality can be. As the shoot progressed,I was distracted as I kept imagining the different shots that she would be perfect for. The possibilities seem endless.  I then thought, if I can capture the images that I have imagined, what is next? How far can I push myself with the same subject to get something new and unique?

To find out, I have started this project titled ‘the muse’. On each shoot, I am striving to capture something new. Something  without the constraints of acceptance and what is ‘normal’. Not a see where it goes mentality but being open to inspiration and remaining flexible. The images will range from plain and simple to avant-garde. When photographing Kat,  she has a real 'on' look when she is in front of the camera which is awesome and adds to her versatility. But, I also hope to capture more of the relaxed and natural Kat during this project as well. 

The project will run though the end of the calendar year 2011. The project began in January and Kat and I have worked together once a week for eight weeks. We will continue to shoot once a month for the remainder of the year. So you can follow along, I will post detailed notes of the shoots and share images and our thoughts. I will also go into some strobist/lighting and photographer notes. 

At the end of 2011, the images will be compiled into a final collection. 


Schedule of posts

This blog became live on May 6, 2011 and, as of this date, 9 shoots have been completed. I will post the weekly shoots first at the rate of one per week and then the monthly shoots at one per week until caught up. This should be in the middle of July. I will then post monthly until the end of the year. 


Use the 'follow by email' link to receive an email with each update.  Or, follow with google friend connect. I will also post link the post onto my facebook page so you can friend me there.



-doug