7.7.11

the muse - April

If you have not read the introduction to the project, please do so by clicking here


April

Canon 1Ds MKII, 70-200mm, ISO500, 1/125,  f/4.0

April 10, 2011
I have an art show that opens at the Utah Arts Alliance the first weekend of May 2011 so I needed a cover shot to introduce the muse project. I went through a lot of different ideas and decided on a heavy silhouette with strong shapes and patterns. My first choice was to really distort Kat's shape. In a good way though :)

I found a dress that had the general look I was going for and then went to modifying it. Since I am not a dress designer and don't think I could even darn socks, I resorted to a hoola hoop and gaffer's tape. I slit the back of the dress to give me some room and then rolled a hoola hoop in the bottom for a smooth round shape. I then taped Kat at the knees with the gaffer's tape to bring that together. The rest of the curves are all Kat.  

This was my original vision for the project piece. It is cleaned up a little but is close to out of camera.

  Canon 1Ds MKII, 17-40mm, ISO100, 1/200,  f/13.0

While we were shooting this piece I wanted to try some different looks. The image I ended up using is the one below. It took some time to find the right balance of detail and silhouette. Both of these shots were shot against white seamless with painted cardboard flags to build the doorway.   

Canon 1Ds MKII, 17-40mm, ISO100, 1/200,  f/22.0
April 27, 2011      -     PART II
For our April shoot we shot some studio and some location. 
We started in the studio with some old Fresnel hot lights. I was going for more of the old Hollywood glamor style lighting. The beauty to this lighting style is the hard shadows and the imperfectness. 

The opening image and the two images below were both lit with these lights. As usual, Kat did awesome and really captured the mood I was looking for.
Canon 1Ds MKII, 70-200mm, ISO500, 1/125,  f/4.0

And this next was my favorite from the studio session.
Canon 1Ds MKII, 70-200mm, ISO320, 1/250,  f/2.8

We then headed up on the roof of a nearby warehouse. The sun was starting to set so we had to work fast. Kat wore this cool dual zipper dress. It had a real matrix look to it so the roof was the ideal location. 

Canon 1Ds MKII, 17-40mm, ISO100, 1/60,  f/5.0,  3'X6' reflector

Canon 1Ds MKII, 17-40mm, ISO100, 1/80,  f/5.0,  3'X6' reflector


Canon 1Ds MKII, 17-40mm, ISO100, 1/80,  f/5.0,  3'X6' reflector

This last shot was my favorite from the day. It is natural light. Kat fell into such a natural perfect pose it was almost too easy. 

Canon 1Ds MKII, 17-40mm, ISO100, 1/100,  f/5.0, natural light

We hadn't shot in a while and I really enjoyed working with Kat again. We picked up right where we left off and had a great time.

Looking forward to next month. We will be heading back down by Wendover to capture a few shots that we ran out of time on in our previous trip.