30.6.11

the muse - week eight

If you have not read the introduction to the project, please do so by clicking here


week eight
Canon 7D, 17-40m, ISO100, 1/200,  f/6.3


April 1, 2011


This was our last weekly scheduled shoot so we decided to go to Ogden. I was raised in Ogden and feel comfortable there. There are a lot of great places to shoot. Some of the areas have changed a little but it still feels like home. Also, the weather was awesome! It was the warmest day that Kat and I have shot together. 

We started out by the old rail yard off 31st.  It was afternoon and the lighting was pretty harsh but we persevered.

These first two images are lit with Kat facing the sun.

Canon 1Ds MKII, 70-200m, ISO100, 1/3200,  f/2.8
Canon 1Ds MKII, 17-40m, ISO100, 1/2000,  f/4  

We then headed down the tracks a little closer to the switch. When Kat was getting ready the car door had closed slightly and unfortunately she hit her face on it. I could hear the thunk from a distance so it must have hurt. It didn’t scar or turn red though and Kat, being the professional she is, shrugged it off and the shoot continued. So, if she looks like she is in pain in a couple, it is either from the door or listening to my jokes.  The opening image in black and white was also shot in this area and is one of my favorites from the day.
Canon 7D, 17-40m, ISO100, 1/160,  f/6.3 


Canon 7D, 17-40m, ISO100, 1/200,  f/6.3



I had also brought this Holga lens. It is a pretty unique lens. It's not a Holga simulator but an actual Holga lens. It is the quickest way to make your thousands of dollars camera into a toy camera. It is harder to focus then I imagined but I really like the super soft look and the familiar vignetting. 
These next two images were captured with it.

Canon 1Ds MKII, Holga lenscap, ISO100, 1/160, f - unrecorded  


I really like this second one. The odd thing about the Holga is in composition. Normally I would not have Kat in the middle of the frame(though don't put it past me). But as you can see, if she was to one side or the other, she would be in super soft focus. Interesting working with this lens.
 
Canon 7D, Holga lenscap, ISO100, 1/200, f - unrecorded  


We then headed up Ogden Canyon. These next couple shots were at a trailhead about 1/4 mile up the canyon.They are actually inside some old chimney looking structure.
Canon 1Ds MKII, 70-200m, ISO100, 1/125,  f/5.6, single strobe right


Canon 1Ds MKII, 70-200mm, ISO100, 1/100,  f/7.1, single strobe left, natural light right

Next we shot downtown to the union station. As we were getting set up to shoot a rather intoxicated man hit us up for some change. He then hung around to watch us shoot. It wasn't all bad but made me a little nervous for my equipment. Sometimes when I shoot I leave stuff at various spots. Sorta like a bread crumb trail so I can find my way back to the car :) Mostly just made me a little less portable. 

Anyways, they have quite a few trains that are available to the public. We took some shots with Kat in a doorway of the train that I think turned out awesome! Here are a couple- 

Canon 1Ds MKII, 17-40mm, ISO100, 1/80,  f/5, 2 strobe set-up




Canon 1Ds MKII, 17-40mm, ISO100, 1/100,  f/5, 2 strobe set-up


We then headed on top of one of the train cars. Kat did awesome! We tried quite a few shots up there with Kat's back to the sun. There was also a door into the train car from the top. Kat even climbed halfway down that for a couple shots. This next image is my favorite from up there and actually my favorite form the day. I love the curves and patterns going on with the pose. Kat is a trooper. The bar she is partially sitting on is all that is keeping her on top of the train about 15' in the air. 

 
Canon 1Ds MKII, 17-40m, ISO100, 1/160,  f/5.6, single strobe right

We then went over to the big black train to do some of the more vintage type shots.
Here is one I converted to a custom sepia tint.
Canon 1Ds MKII, 17-40m, ISO100, 1/60,  f/5.6, 2 strobe set-up


A friend of mine, Al Perry, was having an Art show at the Eccles Art Center so we stopped by to say hi. He had some great work and he is a good guy to just visit with.

The day turned out great! However, it was a little bittersweet. This was our last weekly scheduled shoot. We will shoot again and will continue with the monthly shoots throughout the year but the weekly thing was something I looked forward to and really enjoyed. It's just too difficult to commit that kind of time for both of us. It wasn't always convenient for me and I know it wasn’t easy for Kat. But, she stuck to it and gave it 100% each time.