7.6.11

the muse - week five

If you have not read the introduction to the project, please do so by clicking here



week five
Canon 7D, 70-200mm, ISO160, 1/100,  f/5.6, natural light

March 2, 2011
We decided to shoot out by the old Saltair building. The Saltair building is awesome. I wish I could have seen the original building before it's demise. On a side note, there is an old movie titled Carnival of Souls that had a good portion shot at the original Saltair. You can watch it free on archive.org. Here is a direct link

Anyways, east of the parking lot are some large cement squares. Kat is a pretty good climber so she she scaled to the top. We shot with available light. The image posted above was captured on the top row of blocks. We keep getting Kat up in the air. I imagine we will have her dangling from a cliff one of these days :)



On this next image, I colored a little in lightroom for a bit of a cross processed look
 Canon 7D, 70-200mm, ISO160, 1/100,  f/9.0, natural light - color adjust LR3

This next one was shot with flash/snoot to have more direction   
 Canon 7D, 70-200mm, ISO160, 1/100,  f/5.6, direct flash with snoot


I had brought along an old 20d that I had converted to infrared some time ago. We took a few shots with that. This was the one I liked best. This is IR, no flash sun directly facing Kat. 
  Canon 20D IR converted, 70-200mm, ISO800, 1/200,  f/10.0

The clouds were looking awesome and the sun was quickly heading west. So we decided to stay in the area. We headed over  by The Temple of the Birds. On the way there, we stopped alongside the road and took a few shots. 

On this shot, Kat was back lit with the sun and I used a single strobe on viewer's left. Kat was a trooper and walked the wall in heels with a pretty good wind gusting along threatening to knock her off. 
  Canon 1DS MKII, 17-40mm, ISO100, 1/125,  f/9.0
This next shot was captured similar to the one above. You can see the top of Saltair and Kennecott in the background. If I had to choose a favorite from the day, this would be it.
Canon 1DS MKII, 17-40mm, ISO100, 1/125,  f/9.0
When we got to Temple of the birds, I ran into a fellow photographer shooting some models. The models had some  colorful dreadlocks. Speaking of which, this area has been shot sooo many times, it can be difficult to find something new to shoot here. Luckily the clouds were still looking great with lots of clouds and yellow to blue tones in the sky.
 
We shot quite a bit on and around the train. I shot with one light to balance out the natural light and to narrow the dynamic range of the scene. 
This next image is a favorite from the train. Notice we have her above the ground again. I really look up to Kat :) Sometimes I just amuse myself

This is an extremely low camera angle with strobe on the right.

Canon 1DS MKII, 17-40mm, ISO100, 1/100,  f/7.1
And another shot with a little more of the train. On this shot the hair was lit naturally with the sun coming through the back of the train.
Again, extremely low camera angle and single strobe on viewer's right.
Canon 1DS MKII, 17-40mm, ISO100, 1/100,  f/6.3
We only took a few shots inside the building. the one thing about this building is the graffiti is in a constant state of change. 
Inside the building was obviously darker. To compensate and to bring in more ambient, I boosted my ISO to 320 and shot at 1/60 of a second. I also used a single strobe on Kat. Lots of color in this building.
Canon 1DS MKII, 17-40mm, ISO320, 1/60,  f/9.0
And, although it is  a colorful building, I wanted to capture Kat's outfit in black and white for a little more of a timeless look.

We had some excellent light today and I always love shooting out by Saltair. I think the project is coming along great. I truly enjoy working with Kat. In fact, it is not really work. Ideas just seem to come natural and easily. 

Next week we are going to get an early start and head down to the old Air Force base just outside of Wendover. The weather is supposed to be good.