15.6.11

the muse - week six

If you have not read the introduction to the project, please do so by clicking here



week six






March 9, 2011



This week we decided to shoot at the Wendover Air Force Base
The base has a lot of history with WWII and has been used in a few films. You can follow the above link to a wiki for more info.
Anyways, it is a really cool area to shoot, has lots of character and is practically deserted most of the time. 


We arrived at the airbase around 2 in the afternoon. We were scouting the location and were drawn to the old barracks area. Unfortunately, this area was fenced and locked. After some research and persuading we obtained permission to shoot there.

This week is a bit different then previous. I'm working on some ideas from the past and more going with what works rather then being wed to a specific plan. As with all sets on this blog, there are a lot more images that are part of the project. My plans are to share some of my favorites here and the rest will be made public in a final collection at the conclusion of the project. 

Here goes, 
I had found an old Army coat and hat at Smith and Edwards Surplus store earlier that week. Below are a few of the images with it. If you attended the 'envisions' art show I had in May 2011 you may recognize a few of these images.

This first shot was Kat walking down the road between the barracks. I really liked the contrast of her pale skin and the dark tones in the sky. She also has a very serious look. One of the joys in working with Kat is that you can explain the concept and she runs with it. No need to over explain or give picky details. This is the shot I envisioned and was grateful that the clouds and weather cooperated as well as the did. 

Canon 1DS MKII, 17-40mm, ISO100, 1/160,  f/9.0, natural light, hdr



And a black and white version in the same area
Canon 7D, 28-80mm, ISO100, 1/60,  f/9.0, single strobe (right)

And a bit of a close-up with the glasses. The sun was behind her and I kept the strobe at a distance to make the light harder. 

Canon 7D, 28-80mm, ISO100, 1/160,  f/9.0, single strobe (right)



In the barracks area there are a lot of buildings that are exactly the same except for the varying stages of repair. Most of the buildings don’t have doors and the roofs were falling in.  Makes you wonder when your last tetanus shot was. All was good though. 

Kat brought a police uniform hat / jacket combo. These were shot inside one of the buildings. Most of them are painted this shade of green. I don't remember if this first image was posed or her being frustrated waiting for me to get my lights going :). Actually I do, but I won't say which.  


Canon 7D, 28-80mm, ISO200, 1/100,  f/5.0, strobe right and rear left

This next shot is my favorite with this outfit. It is a bit overly posed but does not appear so. I placed one of the strobes in the ceiling facing directly down on her and another at camera right. I shot this from a cross the road through the doorway which is in the foreground. I removed my lens hood for a bit of hazy flare from the sun outside.  

Canon 7D, 70-200mm, ISO200, 1/100,  f/9.0, strobe right and from ceiling


We took a break for a quick bite and then stopped back over by the museum for some casual shots. More natural light impromptu shots. It was more of a I took charge of the camera nd the general area and Kat made it happen. I think the turned out awesome and I love the look and mood to them. Kat has many faces but I think these show my favorite Kat look.



Canon 1DS MKII, 70-200mm, ISO200, 1/500,  f/3.5, natural light


Canon 1DS MKII, 70-200mm, ISO200, 1/1000,  f/3.5, natural light




We finished the day by heading back to the barracks. I had been holding onto this old  ‘round-eye’ television for a couple years hoping to incorporate it into a shot. I had brought a chair as well but this old vinyl covered chrome chair seemed to fit the scene better.

Canon 1DS MKII, 70-200mm, ISO320, 1/13 sec,  f/5.6, strobe in tv and from ceiling


And this last image was just before we headed out. It was getting pretty dark so we had to work fast. There were a lot of random props laying around. We found this old desk on the porch of one of the buildings did a few shots with it. This is another of my favorites from the set.

Canon 7D, 70-200mm, ISO640, 1/160,  f/2.8, natural light


The trip was a lot of fun and I enjoyed talking with Kat. I thought I knew a lot about her but I learned even more. I am excited to continue the project and anxious to see where it will go. 

Only two more weeks of weekly shooting and then we switch to once a month for the remainder of the year. Next week, the weather is supposed to be iffy so I plan on shooting in a warehouse environment and doing some more impromptu shots.